Employment Law – Part 1 – How will the new workplace relations laws introduced on 1 July 2009 affect you?
This safety net is comprised of 10 National Employment Standards as follows:
- maximum weekly hours of work;
- the right to request flexible working arrangements;
- parental leave and related entitlements;
- annual leave;
- personal / carer’s leave and compassionate leave;
- community service leave;
- long service leave;
- public holidays;
- notice of termination and redundancy pay;
- A ‘Fair Work Information Statement’ for all employees that makes clear their rights and entitlements under the new system and how to get advice and help.
And, new modern awards.
Modern awards will be industry or occupation based, in that they will have terms that are designed to cover the needs of a specific industry.
Such terms may include but are not limited to; minimum wages, overtime rates, penalty rates, superannuation, annual wage, allowances, types of employment, and leave.
It should be noted that modern awards can be negotiated between both employee and employer to ensure each individual circumstance is taken into account.